Word Analogy Questions
1. Skewer : ______ :: Vaunt : Boast
To vaunt means to boast, and to skewer means to criticize.
2. Hex : ______ :: Gall : Vex
To gall is to vex, and to hex is to jinx.
3. Gamble : Bet :: Gambol : ______
To gambol means to skip, and to gamble means to bet.
4. Collie : Canine :: Cicada : ______
A cicada is a type of insect, and a collie is a type of canine.
5. Veer : Path :: ______ : Subject
One digresses from a subject, and one veers from a path.
6. King : Cobra :: Monarch : ______
A monarch is a type of butterfly and a king is a type of cobra.
7. ______ : Top :: Rotation : Earth
Rotation is the movement of the earth and spinning is the movement of a top.
8. ______ : Type :: Iota : Jot
Iota and jot are synonyms, as are ilk and type.
9. Ban : Judge :: Pan : ______
Pan is something a critic does, and ban is something a judge does.
10. Cement : Foundation :: ______ : Bedrock
Mica makes up bedrock—on which skyscrapers are built; cement makes up a foundation—on which houses are built.
11. Scallop : Mollusk :: Shallot : ______
A shallot is a type of onion, and a scallop is a type of mollusk.
12. Sequential : Files :: Alphabetical : ______
Alphabetical describes the ordering of a list, and sequential describes the ordering of files.
13. Monkey : Primate :: ______ : Marsupial
A monkey is an example of a primate, and an opossum is an example of a marsupial.
14. Murky : ______ :: Quixotic : Pragmatic
Quixotic is an antonym for pragmatic, and murky is an antonym for clear.
15. ______ : Flax :: Denim : Cotton
Denim is a fabric made from cotton, and linen is a fabric made from flax.
16. Philosophy : ______ :: Poetry : Rhyme
Poetry is often comprised of rhyme; philosophy is often built on theory.
17. Edit : ______ :: Mend : Sewing
One fixes sewing by mending; one fixes manuscript by editing.
18. Partition : ______ :: Conjugate : Pair
To conjugate means to pair, and to partition means to divide.
19. ______ : Obscure :: Myopic : Farsighted
Myopic is an antonym for farsighted, and famous is an antonym of obscure.
20. ______ : Fleet :: Fecund : Infertile
Fecund is an antonym for infertile, and slow is an antonym for fleet.
21. Stanza : Poem :: Volume : ______
A volume is part of an encyclopedia, and a stanza is part of a poem.
22. Dearth : Scarcity :: ______ : Unity
Cohesion and unity are synonyms, as are dearth and scarcity.
23. Flash : Camera :: Mouse : ______
A mouse is part of a computer, and a flash is a part of a camera.
24. Geology : Rocks :: Cytology : ______
Cytology is the study of cells, and geology is the study of rocks.
25. Dramaturge : Plays :: Lapidary : ______
A lapidary is one who works with gems, and a dramaturge works with plays.
Analogy Reasoning Questions and Answer | Basic Concept